Friday, July 29, 2016

Read Around the Clock with Friends of the Library



In the month of August, the Friends of the Library’s Read-Around-the-Clock Book Club is focused on reading books that have a number eight in the title.  A discussion on books that meet this requirement will take place in the park behind the library at 8:00 p.m. on August 8.  You may want to read the novel Eight Days to Live, by Iris Johansen, featured on the library’s wall clock, or you may want to read another book that includes number eight in its title.  

I read Johansen’s book, used to represent the eighth hour, for FOL’s group discussion because I want to be familiar with all the titles that were used to create our library’s bookish clock.  The story revolves around a cult who is out to sacrifice Jane, Eve Duncan’s daughter.  Jane has painted a portrait which they believe is blasphemous to their beliefs.   The basis of her being killed is from a biblical point--Jane made a painting called Guilt which looks like Judas according to members of a secret society. This wild adventure spans the globe with scenes in England, Jerusalem, Syria, Damascus, Scotland and Georgia.  

So far this year I have enjoyed a rich variety of books and authors that make up the clock, but this particular book was a difficult one for me to absorb.  I suppose that with this book being the tenth book in an Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller Series, and not having read previous books leading to this one I was at a disadvantage by not fully knowing the character’s backstory. Even though I jumped into the middle of a series to read Eight Days to Live, I don’t think it would make a difference in my reaction to really liking the story.  Some readers might be fans of Iris Johansen’s fiction, but I’m just not into an “action adventure” type of story. It was too “Indiana Jonesy” for me.  I would compare this novel to DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown.  It seemed to be more of a “chase the historical item around the world” rather than a forensic mystery.  

Louise Alcott’s book, Eight Cousins, is a book I can recommend with number eight in its title.  Written by the beloved author of Little Women, Eight Cousins is a masterpiece of children's literature. This endearing novel offers readers of all ages an inspiring story about growing up, making friends, and facing life with strength and kindness.” 

I hope you can join us at 8:00 p.m. on August 8 to hear about other books with number eight in title! 

No comments:

Post a Comment