The party begins in Ashe with a Twig Festival at the library from 10:00 a.m. through 2:00 p.m. on August 6. This event is a “family fun” festival! Join us for snacks, music, games, face painting, animal balloons, crafts, and a kid’s talent show. Arly the Library Fox will make an appearance, along with special guest storytellers. Find a good book to read at the Festival Walk-in Twig and celebrate libraries, books, and reading with us!
Arly will also visit Watauga Library’s LFL celebration with a Back to School Festival between 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 13 in Watauga High School’s gymnasium. Wilkes County Library will recognize their area LFLs from 4:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the Wilkesboro Open Air Market on August 19.
Next time you pass by a Twig in your travels, stop and browse its free collection. Find a book you like and take it home! You can also pick up monthly library calendars at any Twig location to see what’s happening at Ashe Library.
Dates to remember in August:
- Michelle Mackey, guest reader, will share the Tale of Two Beasts, in a special hands-on story time at 10:30 a.m. on August 16.
- Join us for the return of tot time with the “Nursey Rhyme Olympics” at 10:30 a.m. on August 31.
- The August Story Walk , located at Ashe County Park, will feature How Do Dinosaurs Go to School? By Jane Yolan.
- The library is a Pokemon Go Gym. Come out at 3:30 p.m. on August 18 to explore the battlefield.
- Get your Game On with GIANT games at 3:30 p.m. on August 25.
- What’s your geek? What’s your game? Meet, hang out, game, and eat every Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. with the Geeks & Gamers.
- Teen Summer Reading Participants are invited to an End of Summer Party from 6:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. on August 19. Enjoy games, prizes, food, and more!
- Be a part of TAC (teen advisory council) and let us know what you want to see in the library at 4:00 p.m. on August 18.
- For all your tech troubles, book and appointment with our friendly reference librarians. Call 336.846.2041 x227
- Visit the Poetry Café at 4:00 p.m. on August 11 and share original or favorite poems over coffee.
- Yoga Club meets in the library’s downstairs meeting room at 5:30 p.m. on Mondays.
- The Deep Focus Film Club meets at 5:00 on August 25 for a feature showing and discussion of Gandhi (1982). Watch Ben Kingsley bring-to-life the leader of India’s non-violent independence movement.
- Brouhaha Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. on August 29 in Boondocks Restaurant for “Books, Beer and Bookworm Babble.” Come and find out what everyone has been reading lately!
- The Coloring “Book” Club celebrates reading (and coloring) as a group experience at 5:00 p.m. on August 30. Relax with adult coloring books while listening and discussing a different short story audiobook each month.
- Celebrate National Coloring Book Day from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and enjoy coloring activities for all ages on August 2.
- Get Crafty and learn to “Crochet Your Way Through the ABCs” at 10:00 a.m. on August 13. You can make an alligator, a bear, a cat, ...you get the idea. Project materials are provided.
- The Community Drum Circle meets at 5:30 p.m. on August 9 and 23. Join the celebration of drums, while exploring the soul and spirit of music!
- Mountain Music Slow Jam will meet from 5:30-7:00 p.m. on August 5 and 19 in the downstairs meeting room (after-hours access through side door on lower parking lot). Get together with other musicians and jam. Songs are explained as to timing, breaks, etc… and played in slow time. Designed for beginners, all skill levels are welcome.
- Drop in on August 27 and make some Harry Potter Jewelry at “All Day Get Crafty.”
- The Read Around the Clock Book Club meets at 8:00 on August 8 to discuss any book with the number “eight” in the title. Since this program takes place after library hours, the discussion will be held at the picnic tables behind the playground.
- Imagination Ashe Step Up Events are scheduled throughout the day on August 20. Join us at 11:00 a.m. for story time with Julia Taylor Ebel. Explore art with artist/author Ellie Kirby at 11:30 a.m. Go on a Story Walk in the library park at 12:00 p.m. and stay for the Teddy Bear Picnic. A family movie (TBA) will be on the library screen at 1:00 p.m. An Imagination Ashe (Step) Ribbon Cutting takes place at 2:00 p.m.